With the persuasion of my husband we became Costco members back in December. I was a little hesitant because I associated Costco with jumbo sized containers of pretzels, frozen corn dogs and huge trays of baked goods. I assumed I would only be going there for cleaning and paper products. To my pleasant surprise I could never be more wrong. This wholesale giant is no longer the Costco of my childhood. Of course they still have the usual junkfood but amongst all of that there are a plethora of healthy and organic options! Boom. Way to step it up Costco. This is a game changer for families who would like to eat better but have to stick to a budget which is most likely the majority of Americans. Who doesn’t like a steal?
Check out some of the healthy items I purchase at my local Costco:
- Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter (2pack)
- Orgain USDA Organic Plant Protein Powder
- Green Giant Organic Riced Cauliflower
- Kirkland Organic Free – Range Eggs (and you get a lot too)
- Organic Cantina Style Salsa
- Organic Chicken; Breasts, cutlets, boneless thighs
- Organic ground turkey
- Organic ground beef
- Don Lee Farms Organic Veggie Bowls
- Kirkland Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Wild Planet Wild Albacore Tuna
Something to take into account: Essentially I eat and cook very healthy. I am not hung up on calories but more the quality of the ingredients. I like to eat REAL food, and I buy organic when it makes sense. When you can get organic meat at Costco that makes sense! You do what you can to make it all work and Costco has helped us cut down our grocery budget significantly without sacrificing the quality of our diet.
I am sure there are a few more great options in the store as well so please feel free to comment below on some of your favorites!